What are some tips for reviewing my Medicare coverage during Medicare Open Enrollment?Submitted by Guidant Planning on October 17th, 2017
During the Medicare Open Enrollment Period that runs from October 15 through December 7, you can make changes to your Medicare coverage that will be effective on January 1, 2018. If you're satisfied with your current coverage, you don't need to make changes, but it's a good idea to review your options.
During Open Enrollment, you can:
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan, or vice versa
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another Medicare Advantage plan
- Join a Medicare prescription drug plan, switch from one Medicare prescription drug plan to another, or drop prescription drug coverage
The official government handbook, Medicare & You, which is available electronically or through the mail, contains detailed information about Medicare that should help you determine whether your current coverage is appropriate. Review any other information you receive from your current plan, which may include an Annual Notice of Change letter that lists changes to your plan for the upcoming year.
As you review your coverage, here are a few points to consider:
- What were your health-care costs during the past year, and what did you spend the most on?
- What services do you need and which health-care providers and pharmacies do you visit?
- How does the cost of your current coverage compare to other options? Consider premiums, deductibles, and other out-of-pocket costs such as copayments or coinsurance; are any of these costs changing?
If you have questions about Medicare, you can call 1-800-MEDICARE or visit the Medicare website at medicare.gov. You can use the site's Medicare Plan Finder to see what plans are available in your area and check each plan's overall quality rating.
Forefield, Inc. Copyright 2017 Forefield, Inc.
Prepared by Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Inc. Copyright 2017
**PLEASE NOTE: The information above being provided is strictly as a courtesy. When you link to any of the sites provided here, you are leaving this site. We make no representation as to the completeness or accuracy of information provided at these web sites. Nor is the company liable for any direct or indirect technical or system issues or any consequences arising out of your access to or your use of third-party technologies, web sites, information and programs made available through this web site. When you access one of these web sites, you are leaving our web site and assume total responsibility and risk for your use of the web sites you are linking to. Registered Representative offering securities through First Allied Securities, Inc. A Registered Broker/Dealer (Member FINRA/SIPC). Advisory services offered through Guidant Planning, Inc. and First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. Both Registered Investment Advisers. Guidant Planning, Inc. is not affiliated with First Allied Securities, Inc. and/or First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. Allen G. Yee CFP®, RFC, CWS®, CA Insurance License #0747874